There is a story I heard or read and I can't get it out of my head. It is years old, now, and it must have spoke to me in a way that made a change on the inside. Here is the Cole's Notes version:
It is about 11:00 pm on a dark, rainy night. There is a man with 4 children and a woman on public transit bus. The lady is noticing that the man is quiet and reserved. The kids, on the other hand, are running around, talking loudly, and poking fun of each other. The children must be tired. The dad isn't even taking note of their behaviour or where the bus is on its route.
Well the story ends up with the woman talking with the man and she finds out the family is on its way home from the hospital. His wife, their mother, just passed away.
Wow! I judged that man just like the woman must have. I judge people and hate when I do it. It just happens. This story haunts me, thank goodness. I don't know what is going on in other people's lives, but we all have battles. Just this week one of my friends is ending a week long bought of stomach flu, another is dealing with insomnia and has three children of her own.
Today I went to get produce with my two children. My six year old was dressed as a pirate and my three year old was a princess. I didn't care. The princess had some compliments because she had a pretty dress on. The pirate, well, people couldn't make sense of him but he didn't mind. I chuckled inside and knew I got some odd looks. I was on a bus ride today and I just didn't care what my kids were wearing. I was on a bus ride called cancer.
3 comments:
Very cute pirate!
I think Stephen Covey is the origin of the bus story. A copy can be found at http://tinyurl.com/66tup2
Brings fresh meaning to the expression 'don't sweat the small stuff'. Childhood passes too quickly - we should all be free to go out in our pirate outfits or as a princess. Thanks Anna - your blog continues to give us perspective on what's important.
Lisa
Post a Comment