Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Menopause come early because of chemotherapy

I have been thrown into menopause because of the chemicals in my chemotherapy treatment. I really was not expecting this. Little did I know? Because of my age I have been pushed in the direction I was already heading. So with permanent menopause upon me I may still have some ovarian hormone production but we won't really know until well after my treatments. This just has not been studied enough to know more.
Since I have my own symptoms or side effects from chemo I now have some extras with menopause. I don't know which is which. It is quite the mix but very doable. I am now sweating again with my new round of chemo drugs. I have night hot flashes that wake me up during the early morning hours.
I'll have to see if I can take Black Cohosh (Remifemin) during my treatment.

Black Cohosh is a natural alternative for symptoms but we don't know if it is estrogenic. Overall, after some studies have been done, it appears to be safe for breast cancer survivors to use and worth a try.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have not heard of the plant black cohosh? Please expand my knowledge. Just in case this is common knowledge, I will stay anonymous.