Wednesday, March 26, 2008

EMERGENCY at Royal Columbia

Have you ever been to emergency? You can meet the most interesting people there. There is the very busy, yet caring, staff combined with a wide selection of the public, as patients. For four hours you can experience a whole new world and it can put your bad days into perspective.
Tuesday evening while preparing dinner I knew something wasn't quite right. I was cold, shivering and my shoulders got stiff. After my children went to sleep I checked my temperature: 38.8 C! I did what the doctor told me to do: I phoned the emergency hot line at the cancer agency. The nurse then called the doctor. The doctor called me. That doctor called another doctor and then I was sent to emergency to get a blood test (actually 5 vials). It took one hour to get the blood taken from me and then another hour to get the results. I was told that either I have a very bad virus in my body or that the drug I was taking was prescribed at too high of a dose. It turns out to neither. It has remained a mystery why I had a low grade fever.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

elaine said...

Irwin and I drove through Burnaby on Tuesday and I wished I could see you...
Praying for you often.

Anonymous said...

Hi Anna - as always you are in our prayers each day. We will pray also for your Dad. Life really is about solving problems most days!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi Anna,
Great - what next right?! My Dad had heart problems for years and years and at one point was told by a specialist that "life was going to be alot different..." . He had suffered a heart attack and basically had 30% capacity remaining and he wasn't a candidate for surgery. A different specialist told him NOT to give up and to keep on living life and doing everything he enjoyed. So, he played ball, golfed, hung Christmas lights like you wouldn't believe (we're talking National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation here...) and looked like a man much younger than his years for another 13 years! So you know what ... anything is possible. I don't know your Dad's situation but the human spirit is an amazing healer. We'll be keeping you all in our thoughts and prayers.Lisa B.