"Fine," answered Anna.
Don't we all do this? I have been doing it a lot in the last 6 months. So how do I go about not carrying on like this? Well you can help me. Don't ask me how I am doing. That would really help. Ask me what you really want to know. Ask specific information. My answer to "How are you doing" is a very long answer, usually. Cancer is complicated. There are the side effects. There are the emotions. There are the family dynamics which parallel my experience or really cross over and makes life difficult. For example, I am missing my son's last, big bike race today because of chemotherapy. So how is it going? Well this whole deal is not fun. It gets really hard and frustrating.
You could ask me:

- "How is your day going?"
- "What is your biggest concern today?" - thanks Nikki
- "Your hair looks great! What colour are going to colour it? Pink?" (Don't ask me if I got my hair cut, please. I have been growing it out. Remember that I was bald not too long ago.)
- "Where are you in your treatment plan?"
No comments:
Post a Comment