Tuesday, February 12, 2008

MUGA Test Today! (Ventricular Function Test)

So why am I here at the hospital today? What does my heart have to do with cancer?
My doctor wants to know how well my heart is pumping (how much blood it pumps per beat). My chemotherapy drugs can have a negative affect on my heart so they are monitoring the effects. If my heart's function has declined then... well I don't know.

I get to nuclear medicine at the Vancouver Hospital on time and then the nurse injects me with a “tagging agent,” pyrophosphate, which highlights my red blood cells. After 45 minutes, I was injected with a radioactive tracer. It emits signals that can be detected by the specialized camera (gamma camera).

They attached three electrodes onto my chest and then had a very large camera placed as close as possible to my chest (it was touching me). The camera took several images which took only about 15 minutes. I fell asleep a couple of times because I was very comfortable with a pillow under my head.

I headed to the research library to read about different kinds of surgery options available to me. Next I go to the Canadian Cancer Society and sign up for a cancer survivor volunteer match. She will hopefully help me with some questions I have and share her experience.
Today was my Cancer Day. It was a day filled with bits of stuff all to do with cancer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The details you give are very interesting. I could picture what you were saying. My cousin's wife just had breast cancer surgery. Would it be ok to share your blogger with her? I want to respect your privacy yet I think it would be a great encouragement to her. Just like you recommended earlier, I did.... just recently... have a physical and mamogram. Anna, you are so brave and strong. You are a wonderful and totally cool woman.
Later, your Skeet Shootin Sidekick

Anonymous said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers every day.

Anonymous said...

Wow Anna! I've read your posts and the comments made by your readers and it is obvious how much you are loved and respected! You've really grown into an amazing wife, mother, friend, teacher... woman.

My thoughts and prayers are with you...