Monday, October 27, 2008

Have I Changed?

Now that I am back to doing what I was doing before being diagnosed with cancer, I wonder if cancer has changed me. I think it has.
It wasn't too long ago that a child was pushing my frustration buttons and in my mind I thought, "I've gone through cancer, how do I handle this one?" I actually tried to put things into perspective right in the moment. It helped some but my old self still sat there watching, enjoying the internal struggle.
My old self is so ingrained, so part of my life. My left hand works so well with my right hand. Now the left hand, the operated side, the new me, is more patient and gentle than what I was. The left side sees things much more positively than the right. My strong side still acts like nothing has happened but when both hands work together, the left always wins out.
My watch sits on my right hand these days to remind me to take care of my left side. My hair will remain short until I know I have changed for the long run. Life makes us better people and more wise. Cancer has made me a better person.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great picture!

Anonymous said...

God Bless Anna...
My only wish is that my child was taught by you now.